Well on Wednesday April 10th, Luke and I had completed over half of the amount hours that we needed. I can't believe that we were able to get this many done in the short amount of time that we had. Though I know we had the chance to do it over a longer period of time but in the time of being approved volunteers. But in this period of time I have gotten to know the staff there and the elderly that commonly visit there. I would like to talk about them in this blog post and the climate that they have there.
So on the Tuesday before, Luke and I had went in the morning to get some extra time and we got to meet some of the ladies that are there from opening to closing. When we sat down with them, we started to talk to them and explain who we are. I have come to find out that they like jokes. Jo is a small firecracker full of jokes. She loves to say them. She would ask if she has told us a joke so she doesn't repeat them. I thought that the fact she felt ok telling me jokes and parts of her life to me was because of the climate that she is was in.
In Jane's Place, it seems that the elderly seem very comfortable with each other, the staff, and all of the volunteers that they have there. The elderly may have known each longer but they seem to be able strike a conversation with anyone that enters the door. The climate is one where there is no hate but just a place where people can relax and comfortable. The place makes me want to go there when I am old. The climate is why this place is doing well in business and why the elderly like to go there. I hope that I can be accepted by all of the elderly there as I visit there more be able to gain their trust.
No comments:
Post a Comment