On friday April 12th, and it is the last day for Luke and I to get our 12+ hours of service. I cannot believe that we were able to complete all 12 hours in the small amount of time. With the these last days, there was not much that we did with the elderly. We played the "Luck game" and watched Jeopardy. But there is something different about this time compared to the previous times that we had done these activities.
Perception. The elderly started to perceive Luke and I differently. The reason is because they had started to get used to us being there. They saw us as any of the other workers that are there all the days that Jane's Place is open. We weren't just a couple of students looking for service but Luke and Davis. The elderly started to get to know us and like us. This comes to show me that perception of others helps people break boundaries between each other.
This service project has opened my eyes. How I perceive people will help me consider people from acquaintances from friends and how I communicate with each person. My perception of the elderly also changed with my service project. They love having visitors and I like to think most elderly do. Perception has influenced communication through history and it will influence my future.
No comments:
Post a Comment