So over this project, I am thankful and humble for the people over at C.A.S.I. to let Luke and I become volunteers and to interact with the community they have. But at the beginning of this project, my perception of Jane's place has changed. At the beginning, I had thought that Jane's Place was just place for people with dementia and alzheimer's. But I was wrong.
Jane's Place is an adult day care center. So only some of the elderly that are there suffer from a case of dementia. Most of the elderly just go there to get out of the house to get away from staring at a tv by themselves. But the elderly that are there helped shape my interpersonal communication.
While at Jane's Place, I was showed key concepts in communication. These were perception, communication climate, and listening. The ways that the elderly and the staff had showed these concepts to me were quite interesting to me. These concepts I did not think about that much before. But now they are some of the main points I look for when I communicate with people. It is influencing my communication in the fact that I perceive people differently than what I did before.
I was happy that this project did this to me. I see it as a strengthening in my communication skills. I cannot wait to keep going back to C.A.S.I. for future service and to interact with elderly that I know and got to communicate with.
No comments:
Post a Comment