Finally after many weeks of phone tag and papers being signed, on April 5th, Luke and I performed volunteer service at C.A.S.I. We had been there the Wednesday before to sign papers, so we had no problems on where to go. But when you enter Jane's Place in C.A.S.I. you begin to feel at home. Jane's Place is an Adult day care for the elderly. It gives the elderly visiting that they are in the comfort of neighborly home. Luke and I had to ring a doorbell to come in. So if that is not homey, than I don't what is.
Once we had entered, one of the workers sat us in the living room to have us wait for contact there. So we had waited, waited, and waited for almost one hour. But over that time we still got to interact with a couple of the elderly visitors. One I will always remember is Don. He is a retired business owner and he liked to get in trouble. He tested the patience of the workers of Jane's Place but he didn't mind it at all. But he wouldn't speak so clearly, so I had to listen precisely as I can to him. Listening is an important aspect to all communication. But volunteering helped see that more.
Listening helped me realize what the elderly were meaning when we playing bingo or what the other workers needed me to do while we were handing out snacks to the elderly. Listening helps me to interpret the meaning behind the words that are being spoken. If I was a good listener, I would have others to repeat what they are saying and that is not the most polite thing to do. So if I can do anything correct while volunteering is to listen to the best abilities.
So from here, Luke and I have many more trips to C.A.S.I. before we can call this project done. I will use the concept that I have outlined here more properly than what I what try now. I cannot wait to visit the elderly I had talked to and began to form friendships with. Especially the troublemaker Don.
No comments:
Post a Comment